Those May flowers are blooming and blissful summer weather is right around the corner! Are you ready for the summer swim season? At BeautySupply123, we believe in rockin’ those ~summer bods~ that make you feel your most confident and healthy.
Today, we’re breaking down some of the best ways to ensure your skin is healthy and radiant in time for bikini season. Check out some of our favorite products and treat yourself to pre-summer pampering!
Exfoliation for Summer Skin
There’s a reason we always remind you to exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate! As we move from spring into summer, it’s time to get rid of the buildup of dead skin and other detritus we’ve been carrying around since the holidays. If that makes you say, “Gross!”, you’re in the right place. Proper exfoliation is as easy as 1-2-3 when you know how to nourish your skin properly! Here are three ways to exfoliate — and how to take care of your skin afterward.
- Body Scrubs: Two words: Sugar! Scrubs! These body treatments are as sweet as they are effective — and they smell really good! A sugar scrub is a luxuriant self-care experience. Take a scoop of sugar scrub and work it into your skin — make sure to tackle every area you want on display during the summer. Then, rinse off in the shower or with a wet cloth. Sugar scrubs are easy to use because they dissolve quickly once they’ve gotten the exfoliation job done! We love this peppermint “Body Buffer” from Million Dollar Tan for its tingly cooling effect — and it sets a great foundation for a home tan!
- Exfoliating Gloves & Brushes: No time for a full sugar scrub? Try a shower companion like these exfoliating gloves and this exfoliating scalp brush. Instead of a deep scrub, practice regular quick exfoliation: scrubbing your scalp gets rid of dandruff and dead skin, while a quick scrub down your legs and underarms can prep your skin for a swim-safe shave.
- Exfoliation After-Care: A major mistake we make in skincare is not following the end step after exfoliation. Moisturizer is a critical part of your summer skincare routine. After exfoliation, look for a nourishing moisturizer with natural ingredients like aloe or coconut oil. Avoid sulfates and chemicals you can’t pronounce. Something like this Tahitian Monoi body lotion is a great choice, since it’s packed with coconut oil and smells like Tahitian gardenias. 😍
Best Shaving & Waxing Tips for Summer
Have you ever gone to put on your favorite swimsuit, freshly shaved from the shower, only to realize your underarms and legs have broken out in “chicken skin”? Those pesky red bumps — caused by blocked hair follicles and an overabundance of oil or keratin — can occur after waxing or shaving with the wrong products. Here’s how to wax and shave to summer perfection!
- Prep your skin! A quick wash with an oil-free cleanser is a great way to prep your skin before shaving or waxing. We like this Post/Pre Depilatory Treatment from Satin Smooth because you can use it as a skin prep AND a post-wax skin treatment. And of course, exfoliate. One extra tip: Make sure you have “enough” hair — waxing or shaving when your hair is too short can lead to that unpleasant “chicken skin” feeling or other abrasive damage.
- Use wax with nourishing ingredients. Or if you’re shaving, use a nourishing shaving cream. Look for ingredients like avocado oil, hyaluronic acid, and argan oil. We’re big fans of Satin Smooth’s honey wax and lavender chamomile wax — or if you have especially sensitive skin, try their wax recipe with zinc oxide for gentle cooling.
- Soothe your skin after waxing. Clean away extra wax with this wax residue remover — which doubles as a moisturizing oil! And if you’re someone whose skin puffs up or glows angry red after waxing, relax with a cooling pack on sensitive spots or a dip in a cold-water bath. (Avoid saltwater and pool water — anything with chemicals! — until your skin has calmed.)
Favorite Self-Tanning Products for Summer
Ah, that golden glow! There’s nothing quite like that gorgeous, sun-kissed look that follows us from the beach to happy hour during the summer months. While the weather is still deciding what it wants to do for the season, try this 3-step process for the best self-tan from home.
- Start with a barrier cream. Don’t forget to prep your skin! A barrier cream offers moisturization for the skin under your tan as well as an even foundation layer for your tanning cream or oil. This ensures your golden glow stays consistent across your entire body.
- Use a trusted self-tanner — and read the instructions! Nobody wants to be orange all summer long! Make sure to use the minimum amount of product possible — you can always go back and add more for a deeper color. If you’re just getting started with self-tanning, invest in an all-in-one kit like this Cabana Tan collection. For a lower-impact self-tanner, try a tinted moisturizer like this “Sheer Tan Glam” moisturizer from Million Dollar Tan.
- Take care of your tan from home. Once you’ve completed your tan, take good care of it! There are obvious steps, like not showering, sweating, or crying for at least a few hours (that means no sloppy romance movies), but don’t forget to take care of your skin. Regular exfoliation, cleansing, and moisturizing preps your skin for future tanning applications — you can also wear white to magnify the effect of your tanned skin!
Where will your summer take you? Whether you’re hitting the beach, your favorite music festival, or just chilling out by the pool or summer long, BeautySupply123 is along for the ride. We’re all about creating healthy, luxurious self-care experiences — and readying your skin for summer is one of the best ways to show yourself some love this season!